When you start out as a sole trader, being in business can be lonely. That’s why it’s a great idea to find an online community for entrepreneurs that can give you support, encouragement and, perhaps most importantly, accountability.
What is accountability in business?
Accountability is the quality or state of being accountable; an obligation or willingness to accept responsibility for one’s actions. Sometime responsibility and accountability are used interchangeably. However, there is a difference. Responsibility can be shared whereas accountability cannot. Being accountable not only means being responsible for something but also ultimately being answerable for your actions.
Why is it important to hold yourself accountable?
As a business owner, it’s vital to hold yourself accountable for the decisions you make and the consequences they bring. Even when you are not in control of how a situation plays out, how you respond to those circumstances and how you decide to approach situations that are in your control is entirely up to you. If you have accountability in your business, you are much more likely to stand by your decisions and actions.
Accountability for sole traders
When you are a sole trader, there could be a temptation to think that having accountability isn’t important for you. After all, when you don’t have any employees, it’s obvious who will be accountable in your business. If you are good at holding yourself accountable, you are much more likely to achieve targets and be successful. However, it’s also much easier to get distracted, reverse decisions and get to the end of the year without meeting your goals. Having access to an online community for entrepreneurs who can help you to stay accountable can make a big difference to your business achievements.
5 Ways you can be more accountable.
- Be conscious of what you are committing to and don’t overcommit.
- Recognise the jobs that make you procrastinate and either do them first or outsource them.
- Write down your goals and break them down to measurable actions.
- Set deadlines for all your actions and stick to them – block out time in your calendar.
- Give yourself permission to fail from time to time – you are not a robot, after all.
Benefits of accountability from an online community for entrepreneurs
- Get an accountability buddy who can help you stay on track with your goals.
- Provide another entrepreneur with the accountability they need to be successful.
- Gain clarity on your business direction.
- Feel more accomplished in your business.
- Increased motivation and creativity to achieve more.
- Productivity increases and you make better decisions.
Step Up to Success for female business owners provides accountability as just one of the many business benefits of an online community for entrepreneurs. You can also receive support, ideas and training to enable your business to grow in a nurturing environment.
Contact us here and check out some of our customer success stories.
You can also connect with me on LinkedIn.